Denise is a consultant, working with organisations on strategic management, organisational development, leadership development and professional/ team coaching. She is a vast experience working in the social justice sector as a strategist, a campaigns expert, a researcher and a commentator. Her areas of expertise include: Immigration, gender based violence, LGBT rights, coaching, leadership skills and strategy.
Denise Charlton has 25 years’ experience in the field of equality, human rights and anti-discrimination and integration issues, at a senior management level. Denise became Chief Executive Officer of the Immigrant Council of Ireland (ICI) in 2003, an independent Law Centre, engaging with migrant rights. Prior to that, she was the Director of Women’s Aid, Dublin, an organisation working on issues related to gender based violence. In both roles, she has been involved in representation at local, national and international levels on social justice issues. She has been involved in several European Commission projects specifically in the area of integration, immigration and human trafficking. At EU level, roles included country coordinator for ENOTES, an EU observatory on human trafficking; the national focal point for the EU’s European Web Site on Integration and Irish expert to the European Women’s Lobby Observatory on violence against women for many years.
Denise has overseen research projects nationally and internationally on immigration, integration, gender and migration, gender based violence, access to justice and human trafficking.
Denise has worked with different anti-discrimination bodies and has worked on various governmental and NGO committees and commissions, including: Turn off the Red Light Campaign (on prostitution and anti-trafficking); Irish Government working group on Trafficking of Human Beings; Irish Government’s Steering Committee on Violence against Women; National Crime Council; Women’s Health Council. Denise was the former Co-Chair of Marriage Equality, an initiative working for marriage rights for the LGBT community.
Denise is an experienced public speaker and is author of several articles on issues pertaining to discrimination, gender equality, violence against women, immigration/ integration.
Grounded in in-depth knowledge of the social justice issues in Ireland and in the wider European and global context, Denise Charlton’s directorships, advisory roles and other memberships include:
- Advisor to the Immigrant Council of Ireland (www.immigrantcouncil.ie)
- Member of the Press Council (www.presscouncil.ie)
- Chair of Turn off the Red Light campaign (http://www.turnofftheredlight.ie)
- Elected board member of the Children Rights Alliance (www.childrensrights.ie) Chair of Advisory Committee of Child Refugee Project
- Ambassador to Women’s’ Fund for Community Foundation of Ireland and member of grants panel (http://www.foundation.ie)
- Member of the Development Committee to the Sanctuary –(https://www.sanctuary.ie)
- Board Member of Counter Points Arts (http://counterpointsarts.org.uk)
- Member of the Irish Management Institute (IMI)
- Member of the Association for Coaching
- Third Act transitional coaching panel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLICNVa5TD0)
- Member of the Ashoka Ireland coaching panel
- Member of Marriage Equality Board (marriage equality) and referendum strategy group (Yes Equality).
- Member of the International Women’s Federation (iwf-ireland.com)
- Expert to the European Expert Group on Human Trafficking
- Expert member of the advisory committee on EU funded programme of Early Legal Intervention for Victims of Trafficking-(www.earlylegalintervention.eu)
- MSc, University College Dublin
- BScs, University College Dublin
- Diploma in Executive Coaching (Irish Management Institute
- Diploma in Leadership (Irish Management Institute)
- Harvard University, USA – Leadership (Ray Murphy Scholarship)
- Columbia University, USA – Leadership
- St Gerard’s School, Bray, Co Wicklow