Denise has worked on a number of key campaigns affecting significant change, nationally and internationally. She worked, with others, to influence legislative and policy change in a range of areas. These include immigration, integration, human trafficking and prostitution and the campaign equal marriage rights, and recently on the campaign to repeal the 8th amendment and provide access to abortion care in Ireland.
She has held many roles over her career including:
- Presently strategic advisor to campaigns on sexual violence and child poverty
- Former Co-Chair of Marriage Equality and was on the Strategic Advisory Group of Yes Equality (achieving civil marriage for LGBT families).
- Head of Fundraising for Together for Yes (Repeal the 8th amendment and the ban on abortion rights) and was represented on the Strategy Advisory Group for the campaign.
- Member of the Strategic Advisory Committee for the campaign to re-re-elect Michael D Higgins.
- Chair of Turn off the Red-Light Campaign (that changed the law on prostitution and anti-trafficking).
- A significant role in relation to the need for parents and children in LGBT families to have their rights vindicated in the Irish Constitution.
- Legislative change in the context of Domestic Violence.
Denise is a well-known commentator on LGBTI rights, gender equality and gender-based violence and migrant rights. She works both nationally and internationally on all of these issues, often providing an intersectionality lens. She also advises some philanthropic organisations on grant making. She has worked with Grainne in Social Intelligence Associates (SIA) for a number of years delivering an NGO leadership programme for leaders managing organisations in that sector. Recently Denise (and Dr Grainne Healy) were commissioned by the Irish Government to facilitate a national consultative process on LGBTI rights (2019) which will inform the development of a national strategy.
Denise has developed her expertise in strategic communications over her career through: